Thursday 29 August 2013

My Favourite Lunchtime of the Week.

I love Fridays! Now you probably are thinking there's nothing surprising there - lots of people love Fridays because it brings the start of the weekend. Well that's not the reason for my passion for this day. I love Fridays because I have the very special pleasure of taking 5 of our awesome children out for lunch every week.

If our children get caught doing the right thing at lunchtime and follow all of the rules then their name will go into a draw to come out to lunch with me the following week. We have been drawing out 5 names each week since last term and it has quickly become the highlight of my week.

This morning was an extra special draw and one I don't think I will forget. As the names were drawn out each child stood. One girl stood for what is the second time her name has been drawn out. She came to see me after assembly to ask if she could swap her name with that of her brother as his name has never been drawn out and it would mean a lot to him. Her brother has special learning needs and it would indeed mean a lot to him. By showing such a high level of empathy she was displaying many of the positive attributes outlined in the Learner Profile for Merivale School. This profile displays the most important qualities and characteristics our whānau, teachers and students have identified for our children to have by the time they leave us at the end of Year 6. It's so exciting to see it living in our children :)
#that's how we roll

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear whaea. I love this little story about a sister caring for her brother. These are the kind of moments which makes teaching special

Post a Comment